Monday, July 18, 2005

Humility

I admit it. One of the myriad of emotions that I feel about this whole China venture is pride. Most people, when they learn of our intentions are impressed. Some are even envious. This, of course, works it's way into the egotistical centers of my brain and begins the inflation process. "Why, I am a pretty impressive fellow, aren't I?" I think to myself, "I mean, going to live overseas and all. Heh. Thankfully there are plenty of humbling moments to keep myself in check.

Two of these have come about this past week through our attempts to rent our house. We've signed on with a rental agent and they've started advertising. They've go the house listed on their website, and have put a big "For Lease" sign in front of our house. Last Wednesday two different families came by to look at the place. One was a mother with her small daughter. She actually liked the house and asked if her husband could come over and take a peek the next day. He came by in the afternoon and chatted a bit with Noodles as he scoped out the place. He had somehow heard that we were China bound and was suitably pleased for us. This, however would in no way serve to inflate my ego, because he also revealed that he himself had lived for awhile in Mexico, traveled extensively as a photographer for National Geographic and had even spent a month in captivity in an African prison awaiting the proper "fees" required for his release. Not much bragging room left for
me there.

The second dash of humility was given to me yesterday. My weekends have been devoted to repainting the interior of our house and this weekend past saw the completion of the fourth of the seven rooms that need a coat. We were about halfway done with the dining room when a couple of women stopped by and asked if they could take a look at the place. I welcomed them in, and one of the first things they asked, as they walked through the already repainted living room was, "Are you going to repaint the place?" It turns out that the question was less a criticism of my paint job than an attempt to find some work. Apparently these ladies are painters during the summer months. Still, I spent the rest of the day noticing what a dump I live in and what a lousy job of repainting I was doing. (Attention potential renters: That was hyperbole. The house is structurally sound and has... visual character. Yeah that's it. And as for the paint, well, paint jobs never last forever.)