Wednesday, October 05, 2005

On the road again

Well, in less than six hours I'll be on the road to Kunming. The workers in our organization are spread out all over Yunnan and we're gathering for a long weekend together. I guess in years past the custom was to gather in November for an expatriate Thanksgiving holiday. This year, however, there's a conference in Hong Kong which the teachers are encouraged to attend. (We won't, since Yau Neih's the only one invited and she doesn't want to leave the kids.) So it was decided to get together over the October break, instead. We get to try out the sleeper bus and bright and early Thursday morning we'll roll into Kunming. Unless we get hijacked by desperadoes or something. Anyway, I've got mixed feelings about the whole thing. I'll love seeing the folks and having some fun in Kunming. But we're still getting used to life here and I have a bit of reluctance to take a break from it so soon. I would imagine that I would have enjoyed a November vacation a bit better. Oh, well. Like many things in life, I suppose once we start out, I'll sit back and enjoy it.

Ironically, this is all a bit similar to our routine surrounding the Puyallup Fair. The fair is held in September, right after (if not during) a busy time where work is asking for overtime and we've been scrambling to fit summer activities into the schedule. (Well, that's how it used to be, anyway.) To Yauh Neih, the fair is a sacred tradition. To me, at that time of the year, I think of the fair as an over-priced pain in the neck. But when the day arrives, I go and have a good time. I'm hoping the same will hold true here and I'll have all sorts of posts telling of what fun I had on my holiday. Or at least a post about the horrors of sleeper-busses....