Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Sshhhhh!

This year I've volunteered to help out with the English library here on campus. The library, or resource room as it's called, isn't an official college library, but something set up by the previous set of foreign English teachers. It's been a bit slow in starting up this year, as the building it was in had been converted to dorms this past summer and the whole thing needed to be set up again. Anyway I went to a meeting about it last night, hoping to figure out why they always want some foreigner to be on hand when it's open. I think the original idea was that the foreigner--usually a teacher--would be on hand to supervise things. Of course, I have no experience in running the resource room, nor any sort of experience in library management. (Unless you count playing with LibraryThing.) Of course, I have been using libraries longer than any of these college kids have been alive, so maybe that qualifies me. We'll see. I think my real function will end up chatting with anyone who wants to talk to a foreigner.