Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Lonely hearts

I was chatting with a student the other week and he brought the topic around to girls. All his roommates have girlfriends and he doesn't. He's really hoping to get a good job because, of course, women only want men with lots of money. I, of course, warned him about golddiggers and encouraged him to wait for the girl who would be interested in him, not just his bank account.

Think he heard me? Nah, I don't think so either. But then, in one sense, I really didn't have a whole lot to say to him. I mean, I could try to offer him solace and encourage him to wait a few years until Ms. Right comes along. But I'm sure that back when I was twenty, it would not have been a comfort if someone told me that I'd have to wait five years before I was married. I may not have even believed it, preferring instead to live in hope of something happening sooner.

Oh, well. Many a lonely soul has survived the wait. Guess he'll have to do the same.