Monday, June 25, 2007

Slowing down

The cleaning, the packing, the farewells continue. Today, for the first time, I felt an eagerness to leave. I don't know if it's because we've said most of our farewells or I just want to get the cleaning over with. Or maybe it's because we've been able to arrange a trip back home to Chicagoland in July. It's probably a combination of all three.

Emotionally, this past weekend was the farewell weekend. Actually, it was the last weekend we'll be here, as we fly out of town on Saturday morning. We were kept busy all weekend from the regular Saturday morning hike (which I opted out of to hose down the living room) all the way to a visit with a couple of students on Sunday evening. (We gave them a big pile of stuff we didn't want anymore--mostly the various magazines and brochures we had sitting under our coffee table.)(American junk mail is gold to a rural English student.) In between were a few photo sessions with various students and two delicious meals--one at a restaurant and one given by more students. If this feasting keeps up I'll gain back all the weight I lost here. It was fun but tiring.

Unfortunately, relaxing is not on the schedule. As usual, the various tasks before me--which look so easy on paper--seem to expand to fill the available time. I suppose I can still hold out hope that I'll have a good day tomorrow which will free up the rest of the weeks. I just won't hold my breath....