Saturday, September 17, 2005

Hello! How are you?

Ah, I'm slowing down. China is becoming routine. I either need to get out more or start surfing in search of interesting websites.

We've started to participate in "English Corners". Basically an English Corner is a gathering of English students for the purpose of practicing their English with one another and with any foreign speaker that may show up. I don't know how common this is. The first I heard about it is when we started training for this here venture. We definitely never had "Spanish Corner" when I was studying EspaƱol in college. (But then again, that was over twenty years ago.) But whether it's new or old, common or unique, we're participating and having a good time.

There are actually two English corners in town. The Wednesday night one is here on campus, a production of the foreign English teachers here. It seems to be more structured, with Michael and Joan setting the activities and watching the clock. (Yau Neih is planning on starting her own corner in a few weeks, teaching songs.) The Saturday night corner is led by Marty, one of "the Americans". Marty's day job is agricultural work, but he's doing some English work on the side. (The English Teacher's Union is so lax in these parts.) For that one he introduces a topic and then cuts the kids loose to "discuss among themselves". We foreigners try to distribute ourselves among the groups to lend our expertise, such as it is.

When I first heard of the concept, I thought it would be quite fun and relaxed. Actually, it's a bit of work. The corner is by nature quite noisy, so it's a challenge to hear (not to mention understand) what is being said. I've also found that the kids tend to look to me as a discussion leader when I join their group, so I've found myself obliged to keep things moving. But I can't complain too much. It's great to meet people and I do feel a bit more useful helping folks with their English.

Now if I could only find the local "Chinese Corner"....