Monday, September 05, 2005

Water, water everywhere

"Don't drink the water!" You've heard that cliché, right? Well, we've taken it seriously and stick to boiled or bottled water. In fact, the college has provided a water cooler for our use, and that's our source of drinking water at home. Of course, bottled water runs out and one must obtain more. Therein lies the tale.

Our latest water bottle ran out today, and we wanted to order another 5 gallon jug. (It is indeed a 5 gallon container. Why it's not an even 20 liters or something, I don't know.) Now Thad, our bilingual lifeline, had written down what I was to say when ordering water. This is the second time I've tried it, and like the first time, Thad was on hand to save my bacon. Basically I dialed the number and said my little spiel. Then the lady on the other end started saying something, I panicked and handed the phone to Thad. He completes the conversation and hangs up. Then he tells me that the lady on the other end did understand me. Okay, whatever. Anyway, last time, the delivery guy came within the hour and changed our water jug. Piece of cake.

Today, however, was a bit different. The call goes through like I described it. Thad, having had finished his business, then departs. In less than five minutes, there's a knock on the door and there's the water guy. He swaps the jugs, I give him 5 yuan, and off he goes. About fifteen minutes later, there's a knock on the door. There's another guy with a water jug slung over his shoulder. I sheepishly indicate the new, full jug atop the cooler and he departs. A couple of minutes later the phone rings. There's a lady speaking at me in Chinese and I try the old "I don't speak Chinese. mei guo!" routine. Now usually, when we pull that, the person on the other end quickly hangs up. This lady, however, is determined and keeps it going for about a minute and a half. She even impresses some other lady into service who speaks about twice as much English as I do Chinese. Which is to say, not a lot. I try to tell her that the water has been delivered, thank you very much. (Well, I was hardly that eloquent, but that was the gist of my end of the conversation.) Another five minutes pass, and there's a knock on the door. This time there are two young women--students here, perhaps--who try to lay their basic English on me. They start talking about water and suddenly the second delivery man appears behind them. I try to explain to them that the water has already been delivered. Then Yau Neih comes over and tries to explain it. (much better than I, I must admit.) The man nods and takes off while the women wait at the door, watching down the hallway. Yau Neih goes back to her work and I stand there with the women, wondering what the heck they're waiting for. Suddenly it dawns on me. I ask them if he's bringing another bottle of water up and they nod. I start to take a step down the hallway when he rounds the corner with a different water container--like a large gas can--on his shoulder. Before I can voice my protest, another woman rounds the corner with a 5-gallon jug on her shoulder. At this point I'm reduced to my last resort. I laugh out loud and then run and call Thad on his cell phone. I should call it the "Thadphone", I guess. Anyway, I briefly explain the situation to Thad and then hand the phone to the water toting lady. (I think she may be the one to whom I spoke on the phone.) A few words were exchanged and then she hangs up. She pleasantly bids me adieu and everyone leaves, taking their water with them.

I really need to learn more Chinese.