Thursday, October 27, 2005

Go Soxs!

The White Sox have won the World Series! So, why should I care? I have no idea. I mean, I really don't like baseball. Sure, I'll go to watch the Everett Aquasox on July 4th and enjoy being at the ballpark. But I more enjoy watching the crowd and between inning promotions than the game. As the game progresses and they start having conferences at the pitcher's mound, I'm ready to head home... or at least to the concession stand. Nor do I think being born and raised in the Chicago suburbs is a factor. When the Bulls (or, as my sister would say, Michael Jordan) were doing their thing in the 90's, I didn't bother watching any games. But when I heard the Sox were in the series, I started checking out the sports pages on the newspaper web sites and actually monitored the last two games online. (I'm sure it was easier for me to follow Game 3 in the early afternoon than it was for you folks back in the States. ;) )

I have to wonder why this is so. I guess that somewhere along the way, baseball embedded itself in my brain as the important sport. It was on the TV at my grandfather's house. And baseball--or its descendants softball, kickball or whiffleball--were the sports most frequently played in school or in the neighborhood. So, even though I'd rather watch soccer or hockey, when the home team gets into the World Series--that's important news. Verily, the human mind is an odd place.