Monday, November 14, 2005

The north wind doth blow...

Well, no snow, but it does feel like winter around here--at least in the flat. The policy, I'm told, is that buildings south of the Yangtze River have no central heat. While this may be fine for places like Guangzhou, here in the highlands it makes for chilly living. Yesterday evening we even fired up the space heater to try and heat the place up a bit. Today we fired it up in the morning and it exceeded our expectations. By afternoon, it was quite warm outside. Of course, we had kind of hoped that the heater would have warmed the apartment, but as long as there's a warm place to go, one can't complain. (Seriously, the heat discrepancy stems from the fact that we only have windows facing north and so get no direct heat from the sunshine. This was a wonderful feature back in August.)

Actually, this is all like a flashback to the days of my youth. When I was a teenager, I had a bedroom in the basement, which was always cooler than the ground floor of our house. During the winter, bedtime was always a matter of rushing out of my warm clothes and hurrying under the blankets where I could be warm after a few minutes of shivering. Now, of course, I have a nice warm wife to cuddle up to... assuming she's not staying up late finishing a book.