Monday, January 02, 2006

Should auld aquaintance be forgot?

New Year's Eve was rather uneventful. This is the first year in a while in which I haven't been working. But except for English corner, there wasn't any party to attend. I did stay up until midnight, however. I heard lots of firecrackers outside and people yelling. If I remember correctly, that's all that happens in my neighborhood back in the States, too. Yawn! Maybe I should revive the New Year's tradition I had in high school--watching whatever Marx Brothers movie WGN screened at 3 am. (I think I stayed up to watch it two years in a row and then the third time I got smart and set my alarm clock.)

Sunday was spent doing chores and today was the first day of school. It was a long one. Part of it was due to slightly ill and lethargic children, the other part was that we're starting a new school year/level of curriculum. (I know, that's weird. But since the kids' birthdays fall in December and January, we figured we'd adjust the school year to match.) When I took over teaching this past September, I slavishly followed Yau Neih's schedule. That worked well, but now I'm feeling confident enough to start tweaking things on my own. Actually, the Sonlight curriculum we use for Ga Dai is pretty tightly structured. It's Siu Wan's Oak Meadow curriculum that requires some effort to schedule. Just like any aspect in life: the more freedom you have, the hder you have to work. Oh, well. At least it's useful work.