Monday, April 10, 2006

Forewarned is forearmed

We've been given a heads up regarding a potentially troublesome event this weekend. Apparently this weekend is the Water Splashing Festival for the Dai people. Traditionally it is a blessing to get splashed with water during this festival and many people are eager to bless those around them. Some of the old hands here have told us about being given plastic baggies at Dai restaurants in order to protect their cell phones and other non-immersibles. Another tale they tell is of an ex-pat who had some business in a Dai town. While waiting an an intersection he actually had some pedestrian open his car door and douse him with a bucket of water. While our town is not quite so bad, we are supposedly located in a place with many Dai folk. The local supermarket/department stores seem to be stocked up on water guns. (the serious multi-gallon variety) One store has been even lugging their stock out to the sidewalk for those impulse sales.

The question is, how to prepare? Leaving the camera at home is a no-brainer, though I do wish I had known before I left the States to buy one of those underwater disposable cameras. (Do they still make those?) Likewise, I know not to wear something I don't want dampened. I will attempt to go out and live as normal a life as possible. What I'm still debating is whether I should arm myself the next time I'm grocery shopping. I mean, I don't want to give the impression that I buy all the stuff about blessing people via water alone. But I do enjoy hurling water at willing folks, be it packaged in balloons or snowballs. Using buckets would be a novel experience, but hey, I can adapt. Then again, maybe that's just one cultural experience to leave for the faithful. Stay tuned....