Monday, October 16, 2006

I don't get it

We went dancing in the park last night, Monday being our "dance night" for this semester. Like many an urban park, there is plenty of activity going on 'round about. As we came into a park, there was a woman handing out some sort of advertising flyers. About half the time we encounter folks like this in the street, they ignore us. (A wise move, since we're illiterate and can't read the ads anyway.) This lady, however, was not one of those. She definitely stepped into our path and thrust her ads upon us. (Well, me, anyway. Yau Neih makes herself less of a target in these situations.) It turns out she was passing out coupons for Dico's, our town's only western style fast food outlet. I put the flyers in my breast pocket and went on to dance.

Later on in the evening, as we were in the dance circle, the lady next to me reached over and grabbed the papers out of my pocket. She and the lady next to her looked at the flyers and began to laugh quite loudly. She then stuffed the papers back in my pocket, leaving me wondering what was so darn funny.