Thursday, August 11, 2005

Roughing it

I'm down to a primal existence: four walls, a roof, a pillow, a blanket and a laptop. My worldly goods are packed in suitcases and five large crates sitting on the side of the road in front of my house. I opted to stay here and watch over them tonight. (As if I'll be able to hear any thieves over my snoring.)

I have to say that this has been one of the more depressing days in my life. We were truly poorly prepared for the task of "moving" all our stuff out and are dumping some things simply because we didn't have time to pack it into one of the crates. When we moved in here, the previous owners left a handful of items behind. At the time I thought it was foolish. Now I understand. (Though I have to admit, We're taking most of those aforementioned "treasures" with us.)(Okay, not "with us" with us. The crates go to Kent, we leave the country.)

Adding to the frustration was the loss of stuff--be it temporary or permanent. While each thing was only a "thing", it also represented some aspect of our family and the life we've lived and helped create. It's depressing to put that aside, even if I know that our essential selves are intact and headed to a new venture. (not AD-venture. An adventure is a very bad day which you manage to survive. We can do without that.)

Anyway, the stuff is packed and the next two days are for cleaning and finishing up some business. I'm hoping Sunday will be a day of rest, but, well, we'll see what happens.