Saturday, February 04, 2006

For the birds


100_1611
Originally uploaded by Yuek Hahn.
Oh, one thing I forgot to mention about Kunming: Apparently Kunming has been the winter destination for Siberian gulls for about 20 years now. (Where they wintered before then, I don't know. Maybe Myanmar became too expensive.) I knew about that, but I was not prepared to see the crowd of birds that were hanging out in Green lake Park. We had ventured to that neighborhood looking for a camera store. (Remind me to do a battery post some day.) We saw the birds across the street and moseyed on over. It was kind of wild. There were hundreds of birds bobbing in the lagoon and another group flying around the edge, along the sidewalk. The fence around the lagoon was packed with people, tossing food to the birds. It was somewhat surreal. I tried to capture it with my camera but it was really a video moment.