Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Taste and see

So, what have I been doing in the past three weeks while reminiscing about Thailand? Not much, actually. One event, which Ga Dai has already posted about, is that we shared a bit of our childhood with our kinder. One day over dinner, Yau Neih and I mentioned the Pepsi Challenge.* The kids, of course, wanted to know what that was all about so we explained it. Yau Neih recounted how she had taken the official Pepsi Challenge and had chosen Coca-Cola. I recounted how my brother and I attempted to do a home made version of the Challenge and how the little twerp spoiled my chance to prove my educated tastebuds by filling one of the cups with a mixture of Coke and Pepsi. (Why my dear and now-bigger-than-me brother chose to enact that innovation is beyond my understanding. In fact, many of my brother's actions were beyond my understanding. This occasionally holds true today. However, it's far less annoying now.)

Where was I? Oh, yes. Telling ancient tales to the children. They were quite intrigued by the thought of participating in the Challenge so, a few days later, I picked up a half liter each of Coke and Pepsi. Yau Neih administered the Challenge, as she has had professional experience and had nothing better to do. The results? Ga Dai affirmed her paternal heritage by preferring Pepsi and Siu Wan sided with her mother by choosing Coke. Now the kids amuse themselves by staging mock arguments over which soft drink is better. sigh.... Sometimes the past should stay dead.

___
*I'd put in a Wikipedia link for the Pepsi Challenge for you young'uns who've never heard of it, but Wikipedia is blocked and I don't feel like jumping through hoops to get a url for you. So do your own research. Ask your parents or something.