Sunday, February 19, 2006

Tourista report

Sheesh! I better wind up this Thailand thing already. It's been three weeks since we left. Anyway, here's some tidbits that didn't quite fit in anywhere else:

--When leaving Kunming for Thailand, I felt like an extra in The Ten Commandments. When we got to the international terminal there was a long line of foreigners--mostly Anglo--waiting to go through customs/immigration/whatever you call it. I don't think I've seen that high of a percentage of white faces in an airport for years. Makes me wonder if that's one reason the Spring Festival is such a big deal in China. "The laowai are leaving--let's party!"

--In Thailand you can buy Pepsi in glass bottles, a thing I haven't seen for many years. Now if only my Dad were there, we could've had a proper "Pepsi break."

--Nancy Chandler's Map of Chiang Mai is way cool. I'd recommend that someone do a similar map for Seattle, but I suspect that this is one of those things that just can't be duplicated well.

--I really hate haggling. It's worse than tipping.