Sunday, February 05, 2006

Thailand

My excursion to Kunming was enjoyable. My excursion to Chiang Mai was less so. At least not in the beginning. Kunming is familiar ground. I had traveled there before and had been in the general vacinity of all the places wherein we had to run errands. When our trip turned Thailand bound, however, I had to get out of the comfort zone and things got a wee more stressful.

Ach, I started writing out an account of the trip, but it sounded too much like a whine-fest. You don't want to read a whine-fest. The gist of the problem is that I ventured into unfamiliar territory with nary a guide book or even a map to help me out and that I had to spend the first three days of the trip wrangling and amusing children while my wife and her colleagues were having conferences. I had some fun, but not enough to soothe my frustrations. It reminded me of some of the business trips I took back in my A/V days. I was excited to travel to different places, but I was too busy and/or tired to really enjoy the place I was visiting.

Ironically enough, I'd head back to Chaing Mai in a minute. I've gotten my bearings somewhat and have identified a few parts I'd like to explore. Next time, I'm sure I'd do better. Plus I still have 65 baht, mostly in coins, which I need to spend.