Thursday, April 13, 2006

Ooh, I've got the fever

One thing I had heard about living overseas is that expatriates tend to get sick a lot. Whether this has any truth to it or not, I don't know. All I know is that I, thankfully, haven't been unduly afflicted... until now. Yesterday I was running a slight fever and after English corner, I came home and collapsed, essentially staying in bed until noon or so. The rest of the day I felt better, though I've avoided attempting to stand for long periods. Siu Wan, who's similarly afflicted, and I dragged our way through school.

This all got me to thinking--it was a lot more fun to get sick when I was a kid. Back then when I got sick I could stay home from school, sit on the couch and watch TV all day or sit up and read in bed. (I read through Tom Sawyer that way.) Now that I'm grown up, if I feel well enough to sit up I'm usually well enough to do something productive--like giving lessons. And even if there's nothing that needs doing, TV is really lousy these days. All informercials and talk shows. The good 60s reruns have been sold to cable. It makes one want to stay well, it's so bad.