Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Yawn!

I should write something. I really should. It's hard to believe that living here would become routine, but there you go. Maybe I'm not just adventurous enough. Oh, well. I guess I need to learn the art of documenting the trivial. (More than I already do, I mean.)

I did attempt to fix a couple of drawers today. Way back when I said that the furniture the college provided us was pretty good. For the most part, my assessment has been correct, but there seems to be a slight problem with the drawers here. They all have a tendency to fall off their tracks. Or in the case of my repair, the tracks fall off of the dares. I went out and picked up some screws and attempted to screw the tracks onto the drawer. This is how I discovered that the side boards on these drawers are fairly poor quality wood. I don't know what the National Lumber Association would call it, but I've tagged the stuff as "really thick cardboard". My attempts to drive a screw into this stuff resulted in the screw driving in about halfway and then splitting the "wood" and pushing the other half away. Oh, well. It fixed the drawer for the day. The next time it goes kaput I may have to break down and call Thad.