Thursday, May 11, 2006

Imperialism

Thinking about the previous post, I suppose I should mention something that's been on my mind on and off since January. As you probably know, we Americans are notoriously monolingual. It seems like every school system in the world is better at imparting a second language to their people than the U.S. Now up 'til January, I never thought much about that. I'd just 'fess up to being stupid and mumble something about trying to learn Spanish. As to the rest of my countryfolk, I would just accept the criticism that we are too self centered and should endeavor to be more multi-lingual.

Anyway, January rolls around and Yau Neih goes to her conference in Thailand. One of the presenters there talks about this language issue and pointed out the obvious reason behind this situation: Americans aren't bilingual because we don't have to be. We're the big superpower. We control a big chunk of global wealth and might. The reason why many people study English is so that they can speak the language of the Empire and get a piece of the pie. For us Americans, the language is ours practically by birthright.

Now while this epiphany made me feel good that my people weren't necessarily selfish or stupid, it also made me feel a bit guilty. I mean, I just want to be plain folks. I don't want to be some swaggering global aristocrat, throwing my money and power around. But, like the presenter also pointed out, I can't help it. Yau Neih got a good job here primarily because she happened to be a native speaker of English. She never put in the extra work of learning it as did the national English teachers here. It's kind of ridiculous, really, that we can come halfway around the world and work in a foreign country teaching their students without having to learn their language. But we've got what they want.

Another point made by the presenter that Yau Neih passed onto me was that "even though we ride into town on the imperial chariot, we can get out and walk." The big example the presenter used was to endeavor to learn the local language and culture. I guess I would add having a proper attitude. Being born American wasn't due to any inherent worthiness on our part. We were just born at a time when America was important. Maybe 100 years from now things will have changed and my great-grandchildren will be sweating their Mandarin exams. Or Spanish. Or Tamil. Or maybe even Samburu. (Okay, Samburu is a long shot. But I just love saying the word. Sam-BOO-rhu.)

A good essay would have a conclusion right about now. But this, of course, isn't a good essay. (Siu Wan would point out that a good essay wouldn't have sentences that start with conjunctions, for one thing.) I'm still trying to figure out exactly how to do the "get out and walk" thing. I'll probably do that right up until I go home. And then I'll start pondering about how I should be living back in the States. (For example, do I let my Chinese studies follow my Spanish into history? Or do I try to keep a connection?) So many questions. Ah, well. Even a citizen of the empire has to muddle along sometimes.