Saturday, November 04, 2006

Nothing to write about

There seemed to be a hiccup with Blogger for a couple of days last week and then right after that we had network problems that lasted a day and a half. So that's my excuse for not posting. Of course, even if everything had been working hunky-dory, I would not have anything to write about. Life has become incredibly routine. I can't say that it's boring, really, but it's nothing to write about. I mean, buying pig-bread is no longer an adventure. We haven't had any strange fellow following us. We haven't eaten anything exotic or discovered any new quirk about life in China. It's just a matter of going through the daily routines, chatting with folks, discovering a little thing here or there. Almost like life in the States. Probably the biggest challenge we faced this week (besides not getting blown up in EV Nova) was getting Ga Dai's violin repaired. We discovered that the bridge was a bit off, so first we checked the web for more info. The page we found recommended letting an expert fix it. So on Thursday afternoon, we were able to ask one of the English teachers here if they could put us in touch with one of the music teachers on campus. Tonight she called us back, and the music teacher was able to readjust the bridge and swap a defective tuner from the E to the G string. All for the cost of a postcard from Tacoma. Boring. If my laptop had audio inputs, I could at least post an MP3 of the retuned violin in action. But it doesn't, so I didn't. Oh, well. I suppose I should enjoy the quiet while it lasts.