Tuesday, May 01, 2007

On the road again

I'm posting mid-holiday from the Guangdong province. There's a lot to tell about, some of which may actually be interesting. However, I really don't feel motivated to type much right now. I have been able to use the ol' Bic in the last few days, so at least I can post it someday.

I will state right now, for the record, that knowing a little bit of Cantonese and a little bit of Mandarin is really not all that helpful in a place where folks may be speaking one or the other. I try to use some of my dimly remembered Cantonese, and then switch over to one of my stock Mandarin phrases. Ah, well. We can usually, eventually, get what we want. Plus we have amused a few of the locals by speaking some guang dong wa. Sometimes I think that's my current purpose in life--to bring brief moments of amusement to the lives of others. Ah, well...