Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The rains came down


100_1743
Originally uploaded by Yuek Hahn.
Here I was the other day, moping about a misbehaving DVD player when I passed by some folks with real problems. Notice the photo posted on the right, the one showing the little garden plots on the banks of a stream. This shot was taken in the dry season. Well, now we've started the rainy season. We had a number of downpours last week, including a day or two of what seemed like constant rain. Well, a lot of that water, naturally found its way to the streams. So last Friday morn, I grabbed my umbrella and headed to the store. As I walked down the road adjacent to the stream I saw a woman down on the banks scooping up piles of sand and tossing them up onto the retaining wall. It didn't register at the time, but on the way back I noticed others placing rocks and sandbags in the stream. The creek rose and the plots were inundated. The folks who were gardening there had to do something to protect their garden--like deepening the channel or protecting the sand bank. It was just another reminder for me of how insulated a life I have always led. Flooding for me has only meant that my food has to be shipped from somewhere else. For the folks I passed the other day, it's hard work in a cold downpour and possibly no veggies for the table. I'm truly in a different world.