Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Adjusting

Well, we've been "home" for over a week now. There hasn't been any major culture shock, more like a return to the familiar. Though there have been subtle changes in our habits and expectations. At mealtimes we're definitely used to smaller portions--a Whopper value meal filled me up. When I tried to nosh on some sweetened cereal I found myself wanting to cut down on the sugar. Outside of dining, I was kind of taken back by the lines at the grocery store. Unless I'm visiting Carrefores in Kunming, I'm used to being second in line at most. We've also been taken aback by people being rude and using four letter words in public. In China they may spit on the sidewalk, but they do it with civility.

For the most part, however, adjustment has been automatic. I didn't have to think twice about driving or using coins or leaving a tip. While the life we were living just a year ago seems like a distant dream, it really wasn't that long ago. Oh, well. If I was expecting to be radically transformed by the experience, I wasn't. Maybe that'll happen next year but for now I'm just the same old me.