Tuesday, August 15, 2006

No pain, no gain

Ugh, I'm in pain today. I made myself useful yesterday, cutting up some logs that my mother-in-law had in her back yard. Back in June she had a dead tree in her front yard and the tree cutters she used cut everything into nice two foot lengths. The problem was, they didn't bother cutting any widths, so she had about a dozen chunks of trunk that wouldn't fit into her fireplace. (Assuming she could even carry them inside.) Since the tree dudes never really responded to our calls, I said, "No problem, I'll just rent a chainsaw and cut those suckers down to size." Well, despite my daughters' worries that I would cut myself, I did that yesterday. I didn't realize that it would be as much work as it was. First off, some of those chunks were rather thick. Secondly, handling the chainsaw required some effort. I thought I was in good shape, what with all the walking and hiking we've done this past year. The thing is, it didn't do much for my arms. I started feeling weary after the first hour. Fortunately I have learned a few things from my Dad. He's smart enough to take a break now and then rather than to push on through with a job. By the end of the afternoon I finished the job and the most severe injury I suffered was a blister on my left palm. Oh, and the morning after aches. Surprisingly enough, my arms feel fine. Instead it's my head and right hip that are aching. Oh, well. At least I can now say I've done something more this summer than sitting around my mother-in-law's house and raiding her cookie jar.