Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Gee, it's good to be back home

Sigh. My blogging has been abysmal this summer, even more so these past couple of weeks. Perhaps now that I'm back across the waters, my output will improve. Time will tell.

Our journey west was slow, but pretty much hassle free. I didn't even get delayed at the ticket counter, like I did the past two trips. (Some scoundrel on "the list" has the same first and last name as myself, which has caused me an extra five minutes or so at North American check-ins.) We flew out to Hong Kong via Vancouver, arriving in the evening. I felt a bit of a rush landing there, almost like a homecoming. We spent the night there and then headed to Kunming for another overnighter. Each step closer was, well, refreshing, as I caught sights and sounds (and tastes) that were unique to that particular part of the world. It felt like I was returning to a place that was mine.

I guess that should be kind of scary, that I feel so happy to be back. It even felt a bit better than coming home to Seattle. (I should add upfront that Seattle still is home. We have no intention of going beyond this second year in China.) I suppose it makes a bit of sense. Though I've lived in Seattle for fourteen years, I'm still a Chicago lad, born and bred. I haven't lived at home for a long time. As I suspected after I moved to the Emerald City, the roots I planted there aren't all that deep. I've missed people, but visiting the familiar places really didn't touch my heart. Oh, well. Though my link to the region is tenuous, my attachment to my wife--who is deeply rooted in the northwest--is solid. So I guess whether I love Seattle or not is immaterial. There are always worse places to live.